If you’re looking to download and install Windows Media Player on Windows 10, we have the easiest guide for you. Some users cannot see the Windows Media Player installed on their PC – those that have Windows 10 N and Windows 10 NK will see that there is no pre-installed Windows Media Player. That is because the European Commission ruled that pre-installing the software is anti-competitive.
At the bottom of the article, we will add a few other media players to try instead of Windows Media Player. Now let’s see how you can download the official Windows Media Player safe and for free.
Windows Media Player: Download and Install Guide
The program you are looking for is Windows Media Player 12.
- Go to the official Microsoft website and download the Media Feature Pack.
- Select the language from the dropdown menu and click Download.
- A window will show up and ask you which version you want to download – it depends on what Windows 10 you are using.
NOTE: to find out what bit version of Windows 10 you are running, press Windows key + R and write dxdiag. It will open the DirectX Diagnostic tool, and at ‘Operating System’ you will see if you Windows 10 is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- – For Windows 32-bit tick the file Microsoft-Windows-MediaFeaturePack-OOB-Package.msu
– For Windows 64-bit tick the file Microsoft-Windows-MediaFeaturePack-OOB-Package_x64.msu
- A window will appear – choose the ‘Open with’ option with the default ‘Windows Update Standalone Installer’ and click Ok.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard and choose if you want to add further apps.
Other Media Players For Windows 10
A great alternative for you is VLC player which can run many audio or video file formats, as it supports many codecs. Windows 10 also has default players for audio or movies: one is Groove Music, and the other is Films & TV. And of course, you can never fail with the old good skinnable Winamp.
Sonia Theo has been writing for more than 15 years, first starting with fantasy stories. She has a bachelor’s degree in English and German, and one in Arts and Design. In the past years, her interests in gaming and tech news grew, so she started writing articles, guides and reviews for players. In her spare time, you’ll see Sonia playing WoW, crafting decorations and jewelry, or walking her dog. For Digital Overload, Sonia Theo will cover all things tech and gaming, delivering fresh updates on your favorite games.